Introduction to the Episode
Welcome to the thirty-third episode of Locals Know Best! I’m your host, Cindy. I’m a full-time RVer and lover of all things travel-related. Years of adventuring on the road have taught me one fundamental lesson; locals ALWAYS know best! Every episode of this podcast will dive into one local’s perfect day of outdoor adventure in their town!
Today, I’ll be speaking with Tom Potter about all of his favorite outdoor adventures in a town you may know as one of the most picturesque Alpine-style villages in the United States, Leavenworth, Washington!
I’m very excited for this episode because Leavenworth has always been in the back of my mind as an excellent fit for this podcast, and even more so for one of our holiday episodes.
Leavenworth is not only incredibly jam-packed with outdoor activities, it boasts tons of holiday cheer to boot!
We will, of course, talk a bit about the holiday season and how it affects and influences this Christmas-loving town. But Tom also does a fantastic job explaining why Leavenworth is so much more than an adorable Bavarian town engulfed in holiday lights!
About Tom Potter (Aka: T-Pot)
Learn more about Tom Potter and how to plan Leavenworth excursions with him at thetpotexperience.com.
Tom is a local Leavenworth entrepreneur.
When he first arrived in the area, he spent several years working in the bars and restaurants throughout the village to fund his recreational habits.
During that time, he inadvertently found himself planning vacations for people, so they wouldn’t waste a minute of their stay.
Eventually, The T-Pot Experience was born, an all-inclusive trip planning service he operates that focuses on bringing you the best of the best of Leavenworth.
With this host and concierge service, he helps visitors make the most of their time in the area, specializing in unique experiences based around outdoor recreation, food, wine, and scenery.
Tom also owns and operates an electric bicycle tour company in Leavenworth that treats their guests to a 16-mile guided tour of the area that highlights the mountains, rivers, history, and local activities.
Listen to the Episode
What We Cover in This Episode
- What makes Leavenworth so picturesque and unique and “the recreation Mecca of Washington.”
- Why people are drawn to Leavenworth for the holidays.
- A pro tip on the ideal time to see the Leavenworth holiday lights.
- What time of the year Christmas-town is in full effect.
- How you can see the Leavenworth lights from your couch.
- The best and worst times of year to visit Leavenworth.
- What each season in Leavenworth has to offer visitors.
- Which part of town is optimal for an Airbnb rental.
- The best spot in town for coffee and biscuit breakfast sandwiches, and what time you should be there to make sure you get a biscuit.
- The best spots to ski and snowboard near Leavenworth, and how to fit in a whitewater kayaking adventure on the way back!
- The best part of the river for a more relaxed inner tube float or standup paddleboarding with incredible views.
- A fantastic sandwich spot you won’t walk away from hungry.
- The best sausage garden in town to get a bratwurst.
- All of the incredible professionally maintained mountain biking trail options available in town and a few of Tom’s favorites.
- A historically prominent ski hill area that hosts bikers in the summer and skiers and tubers in the winter.
- The nordic skiing that is also available in the area.
- The “buffet of hiking” offered in Leavenworth.
- Two of my favorite hikes around this area (and one ends at the view seen in the cover image for this podcast!)
- The optimal spots in town for beer, dinner, and craft cocktails.
- The music scene in Leavenworth.
- The best Instagram spot in town.
- Two underrated spots in town you should be sure not to miss.
Leavenworth, WA Travel Itinerary Map
“Come to Leavenworth to enjoy the mountains, enjoy the recreation here, get a little taste of Bavaria. It’s a unique gem in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains of Eastern Washington. As you pull into town, you’ll just be amazed by how they’ve stuck to the Bavarian theme, and the mountain access is about as good as I’ve ever experienced.”Tom Potter
Links to Places Mentioned in this Episode
How to see the Leavenworth, WA Holiday Lights from Anywhere:
Where to Stay in the Leavenworth, WA Area:
- Airbnb Rental Homes
- Stevens Pass
- Mission Ridge Ski & Board Resort
- Tumwater Canyon
- Leavenworth Ski Hill
- Freund Canyon Mountain Bike Trail
- Rosy Boa Mountain Bike Trail
- Ribbed Mountain Bike Trail
- Colchuck Lake Trailhead
- Icicle Ridge Trail
- Snow Lakes Trailhead
- Leavenworth Nutcracker Museum
- Leavenworth Reindeer Farm
Leavenworth, WA Area Restaurants, Breweries, & Speakeasies Mentioned in this Episode:
- Argonaut Espresso Bar
- Parsley’s Pantry
- München Haus
- Icicle Brewing Company
- Sulla Vita
- Wok About Mongolian Grill
- Pika Provisions
Thanks for Listening!
We love our listeners! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave me a comment below and let me know about your favorite part!
If you’ve been enjoying the show, please also consider leaving me a review in Apple Podcasts. It’s super easy; click here and go to “ratings and reviews.” I read and appreciate every single one! Each review helps new listeners find the podcast. Thank you!!