Introduction to the Episode
Welcome to the tenth episode of Locals Know Best! I’m your host, Cindy. I’m a full-time RVer and lover of all things travel-related. Years of adventuring on the road have taught me one fundamental lesson; locals ALWAYS know best! Every episode of this podcast will dive into one local’s perfect day of outdoor adventure in their town!
In this episode, I’ll be speaking with Jamie Furbush, President & CEO of the Frankenmuth Chamber of Commerce & Convention and Visitors Bureau. Jamie has been in that role for over 12 years and has worked for the organization for 19 years.
In the spirit of this episode premiering during the holidays, I thought it would be fun to embrace the winter holiday season and highlight one of the United States’ most magical Christmas towns – Frankenmuth, Michigan!
This, in turn, will make the episode a bit more festive than outdoorsy, but don’t worry! I still wanted to keep outdoorsy elements in it for everyone, so at the end of the episode, we will switch over to a summer day in Frankenmuth.
Join Jamie and me on a tour of Frankenmuth, Michigan. We start our day out at one of Frankenmuth’s amazing waterparks, make sure all of our holiday shopping is finished around town, and enjoy a world-famous chicken dinner, all while also taking in all of the town’s holiday feels!
Then, in the end, we also cover a few warm-weather outdoorsy adventures that can be enjoyed in Michigan’s Little Bavaria as well!
What is Frankenmuth Known for?
Jamie: Frankenmuth’s really best known for Chicken and Christmas! We’re also known as Michigan’s Little Bavaria … our roots of the community are German. We were settled by 15 German Lutheran missionaries. And so the roots and the heritage of the community have always been very, very important. And you can see that and feel that as you’re walking the streets.
What to do in Frankenmuth, Michigan
Jamie: Frankenmuth’s always evolving. So, the businesses that exist are constantly reinventing themselves and adding things to their own businesses.
Hospitality is a really important piece, I think, of what people love about Frankenmuth and why people continue to come back generation after generation. But that’s really a thing that’s rooted in the people that live in and run their businesses here. Most of our businesses are family owned and operated. And so, it’s a community of entrepreneurs.
And you know, when we look at the year that we’re dealing with here, I’m just inspired all the time by how our businesses continue to reinvent themselves and support community causes. And continue to make it not only great but better. It’s just really a great place to be surrounded by people who care about each other.
Coming to Frankenmuth is an experience that people remember. It’s creating memories with your loved ones, whether it’s your family or friends. That’s really what it’s all about. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing when you’re here.
I think it’ll be a memorable experience and one that you’ll all remember together and you know, that time together is what’s most precious. And so, I love looking out my window and seeing families connecting. Sometimes we’ll see fathers sort of skipping along with their kids, and, you know, it’s that time to let your guard down and just enjoy each other’s presence.
And that’s, to me, what’s really special about our streets. It sort of brings out that magic. And it’s part of the charm I think of our community.
About Jamie Furbush
Jamie is a born and raised Michigander who loves living in Pure Michigan and representing the Michigan travel industry.
What We Cover in This Episode
- The two best times to visit Michigan’s Little Bavaria.
- How Frankenmuth’s entrepreneurial roots make it a special place not only to visit but also to live.
- Why Frankenmuth has such a festive history.
- What time of year Frankenmuth switches over to Christmas decor.
- The two most adventurous places to stay in town.
- The best spots for breakfast in Frankenmuth.
- Learn about the largest Christmas store in the world and why it’s worth a visit!
- Where to get a world-famous chicken dinner.
- Why the world-famous chicken dinner is so special.
- The best spots to get lunch or dinner after you’ve already had the world-famous chicken dinner.
- The best ways to take in all of the holiday feels while in town.
- A local snow festival that takes place every year post-Christmas.
- A tip on the best time of the week to visit Frankenmuth.
- The best Instagram spots in Frankenmuth.
- Two fan favorites that may or may not be worth your time in Frankenmuth.
- Four outdoor adventures that are not to be missed during a summer trip to Frankenmuth.
- Why Frankenmuth is worth a holiday visit.
Jamie’s Frankenmuth, MI Travel Itinerary Map
Links to Places Mentioned in this Episode
Where to Stay in Frankenmuth, Michigan:
Winter Things to do in Frankenmuth Mentioned in this Episode:
- Frankenmuth Fudge Kitchen
- Amazin’ Mitten
- Kernel Benny’s Popcorn
- Frankenmuth House of Cigar
- Frankenmuth Brewery
- Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland (Frankenmuth Christmas Store)
- Silent Night Chapel at Bronner’s
- Frankenmuth Cheese Haus
- Zehnder’s Snowfest
Frankenmuth, Michigan Instagram Picture Spots Mentioned in this Episode:
- Christmas Guide Mentioned in the Episode
- Holz-Brücke Wooden Bridge
- Frankenmuth Cheese Haus mouse, Klaus
Outdoor & Summery Things to do in Frankenmuth Mentioned in this Episode:
- Kayaking the Cass River
- Bavarian Belle Riverboat (Paddlewheel Boat Mentioned)
- Frankenmuth FunShips
- The Adventure Park at Frankenmuth (Frankenmuth Aerial Park)
- PedAle Trolley
Restaurants in Frankenmuth, MI Mentioned in this Episode:
- The Harvest Coffeehouse
- Honey B’s Eatery
- Bavarian Inn Restaurant
- Zehnder’s of Frankenmuth
- da Vinci’s
- Michigan on Main
- Willi’s Sausage Co
Thanks for Listening!
We love our listeners! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave me a comment below and let me know about your favorite part!
If you’ve been enjoying the show, please also consider leaving me a review in Apple Podcasts. It’s super easy; click here and go to “ratings and reviews.” I read and appreciate every single one! Each review helps new listeners find the podcast. Thank you!!
Pin it for later: